My Favorite Moment in Star Wars

One of my favorite moments in Star Wars is when Luke removes the Helmet of Darth Vader and

Anakin Skywalker dies in Return of the Jedi.


So The Throne Room scene has ended and the Death Star is about to be destroyed. In the moment of

all that tension we first see Imperial Officers and stormtroopers running around and we see Luke

dragging Vader across a hanger floor to an Imperial Shuttle. There Vader, or should I be saying Anakin,

asks Luke to remove his helmet. But Luke is does not want to, as Anakin would die, but Anakin says that

it's already too late for him. Luke then removes the helmet and touching words are exchanged. Anakin

passes away whispering to Luke to tell his sister, that he [Luke] was right.


For some context, it was a few years from when I was first found out about Star Wars and when I saw

my first Star Wars film. That film happened to be Return of the Jedi shortly after Elementary school.

Since then, this scene has always stuck with me. The only scenes that could compete would be when

Luke tells Leia that their siblings, when Yoda confirms that Vader is Luke’s father, or when Luke

surrenders to the Imperial on Endor and talks with Vader.


So I was lacking a lot of context when I saw the film, but despite that, the idea that The Good Guy was

the son of the Bad Guy was intriguing. Looking back on it, it seems very Shakespearean. I doubt I made

that connection when I was younger, on anything but a subconscious level. But even on a subconscious

level, it would serve to help understand why the scene stuck with me.


The calmness of Luke and Anakin contrasted nicely the panic among the background Imperials with

the Death Star literally about to blow. Showing how one can be calm in even chaotic situations.

Something I was struggling with at the time, with even minor upsets. This is stuff I never really thought

about at the time, but is something I am seeing in retrospect, because despite “flair-ups” even now

and then, I had become much more in control of my emotions after seeing Return of the Jedi. Even if

this seen did not cause me to be in better control, it did make me realize at some level it was possible.


For more Star Wars content, be sure to check out my YouTube Channel, JonBerry555

 

-Jonathan Berry

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who is the Chosen One? | A Star Wars Theory

1st 2020 Presidential Debate Response